Tuesday 28 October 2008

The Venetian Twins - The Reviews

The Venetian Twins (Peter Peverley). Image: Ian Tilton

Okay, from the off I have to be honest. Farce ain't my thing. Therefore, the thought of a riotous anarchic one did little to excite me. I also get excited about how the addition of costumes and lights makes the theatre a magical place to be so the stripped back set made me feel it just looked unfinished. Due to popping in and out of the dress, I couldn't differentiate between the twins (they are played by the same actor). Turns out every time I popped back in to the auditorium it was the same twin I was seeing and when you see the whole thing they are really quite different despite being dressed identically. In fact, one audience member was overheard asking why the other twin didn't take a bow! Willing suspension of disbelief eh?

But the sheer energy of this production totally won me over. I laughed far more at press night than I thought I would and the sheer physicality and commitment of the cast was impressive, engaging and thoroughly exhausting (but in a good way). If you are a fan of traditional theatre or like your productions understated then this probably won't be for you. If you want a whole load of fun, to see something highly energetic, physical and entertaining then come see it.

Okay and over to those that do proper reviews, the press (and the public too as we were pleased to welcome the guys from The Public Reviews - thanks for coming guys!):

'Paul Hunter, says he hopes to unleash a "joyful sense of anarchy" on the Octagon. With help from his designer, Michael Vale, he has succeeded.' THE BOLTON NEWS Read more

'The comedy is broad, fast-paced, physical and slapstick, so those people who believe themselves to be too sophisticated to enjoy such things should probably stay away. For the rest of us, this is exhausting but hilarious...' THE BRITISH THEATRE GUIDE Read more...

'It’s a delight to watch this masterclass in comic timing.' THE STAGE Read more...

'A triumph, then! Take the kids, take the grand-parents, take the sulky teenage nieces and nephews who “don’t like theatre.” This is joyous, fizzy, accessible comedy that we’re lucky to have in the Northwest right now.Within the current doom and gloom of the credit crunch, this play is a real tonic. So if you love to laugh, The Venetian Twins is unmissable!' WHAT'S ON STAGE Read more...

'Hunters direction of this play is superb this production flows with sheer speed and pace and at times found myself having to hold back the laughter so I could breathe.' THE PUBLIC REVIEWS Read more...

0 comments:

Post a Comment