Tuesday 2 September 2008

To blog or not to blog.....


Image taken from: http://www.mostphotos.com/

I'd like to think if Shakespeare was still alive then he would definitely have been a blogger. I have been having been surfing the net...ahem ...I mean doing some research on Shakespeare, as The Merchant of Venice kicks off the season soon, and it seems that there are fair few blogs dedicated to the Bard. I thought for those of you with an interest in all things Shakespeare, these might be worth a read...


Here's how this Bardolator (!) describes the site:

I love Shakespeare, I want to share that love, and I got bored. That’s how this website was born. I don’t consider myself an expert, I don’t have a PhD in Shakespeare. I read about and watch Shakespeare, I act Shakespeare, and might start eating Shakespeare.

I really like his Word of the Day where he explains Shakespearean language. Nice...


The Shakespeare Geek talks about inspiring a love of Shakespeare in his kids (even if it means changing the ending so Romeo and Juliet live), re-telling and adaptations of Shakespeare’s tales (Gnomeo and Juliet anyone?), his love of Diet Pepsi and pro-wrestling.


Here's the skinny:

A Shakespearean glance at the people and issues of the day. Bardseye is intended for all who are interested, but I feel a specific desire to make it accessible to students and to those adult readers - including non-native English speakers - who may have missed their first opportunity to connect themselves to Shakespeare.

If you are such a reader, you may now find a daily dose of plot explanation, excerpted poetry, historical background and thoughtful meditation on Shakespeare's meaning a pleasant and gentle way to cozy up to the Bard.

Shakespeare Cartoons at Savage Chickens who has obviously had similar thoughts to me about the Bard's blogging potential.
Over at Savage Chickens, Doug draws amusing chicken-focused cartoons on post-it notes. He has done a Shakespeare series which made me giggle. Click on the image above for more....
There's also some useful and interesting stuff over at Shakespeare Teacher. He has some nice daily features including Shakespeare anagram on a Saturday. There is also The Shakespeare Blog that provides educational resources and some interesting discussions like who would be the modern day Shakespeare. There's some good stuff on The Merchant of Venice too. And last but not least there are blogs by both the British Shakespeare Company and the RSC.

I am a little disappointed that I haven't found a blogger that writes about modern day issues in a Shakespearean style, rather like someone did for Samuel Pepys. If anyone out there knows of such a site, leave me a link in the comments section....

0 comments:

Post a Comment